Gizmo for Skype-like functionality in Neo?

Mikko J Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Jan 30 18:05:05 CET 2008

On ke, 2008-01-30 at 18:00 +0100, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> the serverless instant messenger http://retroshare.sf.net (Qt gui)
> will have soon as well VOIP and VIDEO Chat, and this is quite good for
> openmoko, as this is an encrypted one,
> so you are safe, that no third party is hearing your Voips.

Seems like it does its own thing, which is bad for interop.

I would suggest to people implementing a softphone for OpenMoko to use
standard SIP, applying preferrably the GNU ccRTP library for voice
streams. This implements the quite nice ZRTP protocol designed by
Zimmerman of PGP fame. (I haven't noticed other free implementations of
ZRTP; if such are however available, this killer advantage to ccRTP may
of course diminish.)

Relevantly, there may be a lot of potential synergy with the GNU
Telephony Open Embedded subproject:
"In GNU Telephony Open Embedded, one goal is to provide softphone
clients, such as linphone, sflphoned, and twinkle, modified specifically
for GPE and OPIE (Free Qtopia)."
 - http://www.gnutelephony.org/index.php/GNU_Telephony_Open_Embedded

I'm sure many relevant people know all this already, but thought I'd
toss it out again.

--
Mikko J Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi>
University of Helsinki