Which image

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 01:00:16 CEST 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008, Eildert Groeneveld wrote:
> Hello Folks
>
> so here it is the nice black box. It does boot and it could even connect to
> the Vodaphone network and got the LL phone ringing. great!
> But what now? The applications look rather skinny.
>
> What would be the best image to use currently. Is the FSO an option?
> Any advice?

What's best rather depends on what you want to do with it. I suggest you try
them and see what work for you. The images are only a starting point though -
you can use opkg to install packages from the repositories, or by URL as used
for tangoGPS.

None of the images I've tried so far (up to builds via mokomakefile on the
25th) will resume reliably if you go for the full power management (Dim
first, then lock). If you look at the kernel mailing list it seems like good
progress is being made increasing the speed and reliability of resumes, so
with luck that'll hit the mainstream builds soon.

The FSO image does what it says on the wiki page. It will ask for your PIN
then connect to the GSM network, and make and receive calls. That's about it.
As I understand things this is intended for demonstration and development of
the freesmartphone.org APIs rather than a usable image, though the usable
image may be a happy byeproduct in the future milestone releases.

The ASU (openmoko-qtopia-x11-image) has the qtopia dialer, contacts and
messaging apps with enlightenment-based apps for preferences, package
management and basic mapping. I rather like it, but the qtopia apps don't
start if I have the SIM in the phone. I'm about to look at this more closely.
It also has a qwerty-style input method.

The GTK-based openmoko-devel-image is more or less what the phone came
preloaded with. This is what I've used most so far, adding gpsd and tangogps,
a couple of scripts to make it easier to start and stop the wifi, and adding
useful characters to the multi-tap keyboard to make the terminal more usable.

There is also one ScaredyCat image for the Freerunner which is the GTK image
with a bunch of config tweaks and handy extra apps. It mostly works on the
Freerunner,  but bits of it are clearly set up for the Neo1973. It wouldn't
take many changes to make it as usable on the Freerunner as it looks like it
would be on the Neo1973. I can certainly see why siome have described it as
the most usable image for the Neo1973.

Finally there's the qtopia image, or rather, as far as I can tell, there
isn't. I expect Lorn will post an image as soon as Trolltech release the
sources again. I certainly hope so as I was looking forward to trying it.

Many thanks to everyone involved in getting the hardware and software this
far. It's a great start, and the FSO has great potential for simplifying some
real GUI innovation.