freerunner unable to work with 3G SIMCards?

David Roetzel david at roetzel.de
Thu Jul 3 10:05:04 CEST 2008

Hi,

> Do we have any other Freerunners who are e-plus customers in Germany?

I do not have a Freerunner (yet) but I have experienced similar
problems with my Neo1973 with latest GSM firmware. Since the GSM-part
did not change, I guess it is the same problem.

I have both an e-plus and an O2 sim card that cause trouble. Both cards
are 3G and look strikingly similar, except the provider logo of course.

There seem to be quite a bit of 3G sim cards in circulation that still
do not work. That is why the infamous bug 666
(http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/666) has not been closed yet.

At least this is not a problem restricted to Openmoko: A friend told me
about a colleague from work who had to replace his sim card twice to
get it to work in his new Sony-Ericsson device. At least in this case,
the provider did not charge for the replacement cards.

Kind regards

David