freerunner unable to work with 3G SIMCards?

Arne Zachlod zachso at arcor.de
Thu Jul 3 21:29:31 CEST 2008

Holger Freyther schrieb:
> On Wednesday 02 July 2008 23:48:59 Arne Zachlod wrote:
>
>> Hej guys, I had got my today and i have tested it, but my 3G card
>> doesn't function with it. he can't find a network and is unable to get
>> the pin. (i have disabled pin with another phone, then there was only
>> the problem that he doesn't find a network). but with other SIM Cards
>> form same provider there is no problem.
>> and other, non-3G-phones hasn't problem with this card, too.
>> i have no idea where i can find any informations. the gsm.log file
>> doesn't exist and my gsm-firmware-version is moko8. So, my question is:
>> does anybody else has a problem with 3G Sim card?
>>

> In general minicom is your friend. Reenable the PIN on your simcard. execute
> AT to see if the modem responds to you (kill other users if not), reset using
> sysfs files if needed.
> Once you get OK on an AT request do:
> 	AT+CFUN=1
> 	AT+CPIN?
>
> it should ask for SIM PIN..
>
> 	AT+CPIN=YOURPIN
> 	AT+CPIN?
>
> it should say it is ready..
>
> 	AT+CREG=1
> 	AT+COPS=0
>
> you should see +CREG coming by.
>

> alternatively if you have qpe installed. You can go
> to /opt/Qtopia/etc/default/Trolltech/Log.conf change all Enabled = 0 to
> Enabled = 1. Kill the qpe process, take a look
> at /etc/X11/XSession.d/89qtopia, copy the two exports to your console, run
> qpe and take a look at the chat qpe has with the modem.
>
> please share your results and if you don't know what I'm talking about ask.
>
> z.

I hope I have understood you correctly and did what u meant. this is the
console output:

root at om-gta02:~# libgsmd-tool -m atcmd
libgsm-tool - (C) 2006-2007 by Harald Welte and OpenMoko, Inc.
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

AT
STR=`AT'
RSTR=`OK'

AT+CFUN=1
STR=`AT+CFUN=1'
RSTR=`OK'

AT+CPIN?
STR=`AT+CPIN?'
RSTR=`+CPIN: SIM PIN'

AT+CPIN=XXXX
STR=`AT+CPIN=XXXX'
cme error: 3
RSTR=`+CME ERROR: 3'

so, i don't know what this error means, but the PIN was right. i hope
anyone can imagine something with this, because i can't ;)

bye, Arne