My word on GPRS

Clinton Ebadi clinton at
Thu Jul 3 23:02:07 CEST 2008

"Michael 'Mickey' Lauer" <mickey at> writes:

> b) If you want to receive calls, the connection needs to be idle. You can
> safely have an activated context (i.e. i was able to log in via SSH) being
> idle and then you will get your incoming call notifications.
> Note though, once someone wants to call you while you are not idling, i.e.
> during a long wget, you will not get any call notifications. Instead, the
> network will think you are not reachable and -- if configured -- send you to
> the voice mailbox.

Is this a limitation of the chipset or the software stack? My ancient
Nokia 7610 will interrupt an active GPRS connection when incoming
calls are received.

Corinne: this is why we should have designated bath buddies
Corinne: to get places you cant reach because youre slippery and in
         case you get a lil tooo slippery and crack your head open
         someone can call the coast guard and save you