Shipping to canada...

Dave O'Connor doc at skynet.ie
Sat Jul 5 08:27:15 CEST 2008

Hello.
I'm in Canada too and myself and Railer from the #openmoko along with
someone in my group have been doing some research into this.

UPS Suck, they screw you on two main fees, brokerage (customs clearance)
and bond fees.

Bond fees are for them putting up the money for GST which you can pay to
them when the package is in transit if you want to avoid it.

Brokerage fees are the even bigger scam and these are for clearing
customs. (These don't have to be paid at all using fedex or USPS and if
openmoko would notice this in the future and allow more options it would
be very much appreciated :) )

We worked it out that it's just 10 dollars extra to send it expedited
and that includes all of their scam fees.

You can do brokerage yourself and you'd have to look into it and see how
to do it in Alberta. For us this would involve rejecting the package and
their extra fees, going to their depot, which is near the airport in
Vancouver but I don't know what applies to you, and then going to
customs. That's too much time off work for me to be worth it so we're
going to go for the expedited delivery which is much faster and only 10
dollars more expensive than standard delivery + scam fees

Did I mention UPS suck?

Regards
Dave