ancient hardware?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Mon Jul 7 15:27:59 CEST 2008

On 7 Jul 2008, at 04:02, Ajit Natarajan wrote:
> The Calypso GSM chip dates back to 2000.  This is from the leaked
> hardware definition manual revision history [3].
> I haven't looked at the other chips.
>
>  From the above, the GSM chip looks ancient. ...
>
> So, I don't understand the comments on ancient parts.  What have we
> compromised on by choosing these parts?

It seems to me that the Freerunner lacks only a couple of features of
other more modern phones.

Some people want a camera, but *shrugs* that doesn't bother me. I
assume the decision to omit this was not related to the openness of
the hardware, probably because the Neo was based on a previous design
(which FIC undertook for someone else who subsequently abandoned
their project?).

I don't know why the Glamo was included. You don't mention this in
your commentary. (And, again, this doesn't bother me, as I want to
run email & calendaring apps on my phone, not video).

Basically the big compromise was 3G. IMO it's the only thing that
justifies the "ancient" claims.

Stroller.