Different hardware in the future?

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Mon Jul 7 22:31:19 CEST 2008

Ole Kliemann wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I'd first like to say how excited I am about the Freerunner. I am an
> enthusiastic linux user who likes to customize every aspect to create a
> workflow that just fits. So a customizable phone is what I have been
> looking for. A big thanks to all involved in the project, you are doing
> something important. It is about time that man reclaims machine.
>
> But now my question: As I understand, the software right now is not
> fully evolved. I would be interested in experimenting and testing, but I
> also would like to have a fully functional phone in the long run.

It is already pretty functional, but probably not fully.
It works, but some featueres still evolve (GPS,mapping,motion sensor
stuff,management of wlan/networking) and some software may change. (The
whole multiple subsystems shebang)
See http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Latest_Images
Especially
http://www.vanille-media.de/site/index.php/2008/06/28/gtk-asu-fso-tmtla/

Moving target... ;)

But you will be able to make calls send sms and so.

> Will I
> have one with the Freerunner once the software development reached a
> certain stage?
>
> Or will there be another hardware iteration then, eventually making it
> necessary to change the hardware?
No
> I read, it is intended for end-users
> but not yet quite end-user-capable. I wasn't sure whether this is a
> question of software only, or one of hardware too.
Software only.
Freerunner is supposed to be the final design.