freerunner unable to work with 3G SIMCards?

Jeffrey Ratcliffe jeffrey.ratcliffe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 11:10:15 CEST 2008

2008/7/7 Joachim Steiger <roh at openmoko.org>:
> after reading shawn lin's testreport i believe we really have a problem
> with the 1.8V sim cards then.
> too bad the one i tested has no voltage printed on (some sims have, this
> sadly doesnt). will try to find out next time i get near that sim.

My German Blau SIM (On the back it says, amongst other things, 3V -
does that mean volts?) does NOT work on my new GTA02, despite what is
on http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Carriers

One colleague's Dutch Orange SIM did work, but two other German
Vodafone SIMs did not.

One German and one Dutch T-Mobile SIM did not work, but a German
Debitel (T-Mobile
reseller) did.

Nor did a 1 year old German O2 SIM.

What new prepaid German SIMs are known to work? i.e. which prepaid
German SIM that I can buy today will work in the FR?

On the back of my Blau SIM there are two rows of alphanumerics:

xx-xxx-xxxxxx-x xx
16K 3V #343 H73

I assume 16K is the storage capacity of the SIM and 3V the voltage.
Any ideas what the rest means?

Are there any security implications about sharing the top row of
numbers in full? Would it be useful?

Perhaps we can work out some way of telling from the info stamped on a
SIM whether it will work in the FR or not.

Regards

Jeff