audio/video support

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Tue Jul 8 13:11:28 CEST 2008

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 18:06:19 +0200 thomasg <thomas at gstaedtner.net> babbled:

> I did some basic testing with video and mp3:
> Both works, mp3 without any problem, video the resolution/quality fits.
> The Freerunner plays 320x240 at 24 fps at a reasonable bitrate. No difference
> between internal flash and the microSD.
> The problem is, that this only works without scaling. If you want to play it
> fullscreen without wasting too much screenspace: forget it.
> The CPU cannot do the softwarescaling.
> I don't know if there ever will be a working XV-driver for the glamo, but if
> so, fullscreen with hardwarescaling is no big deal at all.

there is working XV for the glamo. i measured 20fps on an mp4 video at 320x240
on my freerunner using XV to scale to full screen. this of course will vary
depending on audio codec (audio decoding i think ate up 20% of cpu according to
mplayer stats), bitrate, video codec and quality etc. this is via regular
run-of-the-mill XV that is supported on almost all desktops and by most video
players and using mplayer (as it gave good stats).