T-Mobile with ASU on GTA01?

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at openmoko.com
Wed Jul 9 16:49:16 CEST 2008

Dear Marcus,
your mail touches many subjects and let me just pick out a few:

First of all thanks for buying 4 phones from us! We are still an 'Open
Source project' more than a company and people need to believe in the
bigger picture to buy from us now.

Believe it or not - we all eat our own dog food. You cannot believe
how many mails Steve wrote to me complaining about his broken/buggy/
unchargeable/etc. Neo.
I admit that I am carrying two phones around with me, a Blackberry and
a Neo.
Want to replace the Blackberry but we are not there yet.

> dogfood, i.e. using the Neo as their daily phone, things like
> oszillating GSM modems, non working GPS, SIM cards, deep discharge
> batteries, noisy headsets would have been since long ironed out.

Exactly our top priorities. I am amazed by how closely you are
watching what's going on with Openmoko.
Let me just clarify this: We are not (knowingly) shipping defective
products.
Our complete production testing software is under GPL now (http://git.openmoko.org/?p=system-test-suite.git;a=summary
)
Every peripheral of every phone is tested in the factory.
(BTW, we are trying to open this up more, with open factory statistics
etc. But that's a long-term goal)

So some people see bugs. All the things you list above.
In certain situations, certain countries, with certain GSM base
stations, certain SIM cards, etc. etc.
And after months and months of improving the Neo, we decided to start
shipping. Get more Neos out into real life, get more customer feedback.
Because in the end that's the only thing that can really focus the
whole company.
Engineers are self-loving animals sometimes. Do not over-estimate the
power Sean or me or Steve have over some of these guys.
But when the mailing lists have people who paid money for their
phones, everybody will listen.

Openmoko is different, we do all this openly.
If you want to return your two non-working phones, I'm sure we find a
solution. We will absolutely make sure that you get two fully
functioning phones in return.
Hope this helps (a bit, I know you still have 2 phones with broken GSM
as you say), keep us honest :-)
Best Regards,
Wolfgang