questions about our mailinglists

Brian C brianwc at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jul 10 18:42:35 CEST 2008

Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
>>    2) Remove 'device-owners'.
>
> 2) is a bit more controversial. But, being somebody that loves change, I
> would like to try it as well.

I think device-owners should be removed.  It is easier, especially for
newbies, to locate a single list "community" where they can expect to
get an answer to their questions.

If there were to be some benefit from multiple lists, and there could
be, then they would need to be defined differently than "community" and
"device-owners" which contains far too much overlap.  If there were a
"support" list that was clearly intended to be questions about how to
get things working (flashing an image, compiling some software, etc.)
and then some other list for all non-support related discussions (not
sure the best name for it, but "community" still seems too broad and
would confuse newcomers), then that could be a useful split.  Anyway,
unless two better-defined lists were proposed, I would agree that
removing device-owners and putting everything in "community" is preferable.

Brian