SanDisk micro SDHC 8GB card under testing

matt joyce matt.joyce at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 15:17:17 CEST 2008

Federico Lorenzi wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 3:56 PM, ian douglas <ian.douglas at iandouglas.com> wrote:
>
>> So interestingly enough, writes were slower on ext3 than vfat on the
>> 512MB card.
>>

> Makes sense, ext3 is journaled, and using a journaling FS on flash
> memory is generally a bad idea. Could you also try ext2?
>
> Thanks,
> Federico

I had some performance issues using ssd on my laptops a while back. At
the time I couldn't find much out about the various merits of different
filesystems and block sizes.
I recently searched again and found this document :
http://www.usenix.org/event/lsf08/tech/shin_SSD.pdf

Looking thought charts ( I wish there was a podcast), it looks like a
4kb block size is best, and nilfs performance best as the filesystem.

nilfs  http://www.nilfs.org/en/
here's an interesting thread on using nilfs on ssd
http://www.nilfs.org/pipermail/users/2008-February/000188.html

Is nilfs availble for openmoko ?

Regards

Matt