Import Contacts

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 13:41:06 CEST 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008, Kalle Happonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Brian C wrote:
> > Brian C wrote:
> > [a long error message because he didn't run the script from the OM
> > terminal]
> >
> > Ok, so the script runs now that I realize it must be run from the OM
> > terminal.

It might work from an ssh session if you run:
	dbus-launch scriptname
I haven't tried this though - just guessing based on similar behaviour from
gconftool-2

> > However, it appears to have entered all "null" contacts and
> > so far none of them appear to have any actual contact info in them
>
> I ran into the same problem, but I did get them in now with the script.
> I had two issues actually. The easiest to try
>  is to remove the empty lines between the entries in the vCard file, and
> have them all in a long jumble. That solved my last problem.

Blank line removal should be a one-liner - if only I were more familiar with
python ;-)

> I did have another problem when I played around with the contacts in
> Evolution on the desktop. I started by exporting the contacts as vCard
> from Wammu. Evolution refused to read those  v2.1 vCards. I then
> exported it as ldif from wammu, and had to make a small change in the
> entries so that evolution read them correctly (adding a cn or smth).
> AFAIK the openmoko contacts is also based on evolution so there might be
> similar problems.
>
> When I tried to import Wammu vCards,  they showed up as null entries on
> openmoko. When I exported the contacts as vCard (3.0) from evolution,
> and removed the empty lines in the vCard file, I could import them to
> openmoko with the script. I'm not sure if the new vCard format helped any.

Interesting...I remember having similar problems with OpenXchange a couple of
years ago. It assumed v3 and didn't check the version in the vCard itself.
You had to pick which interface to use depending on the vCard version. i
wonder if Evolution Data Server is doing something similar?