William Kenworthy billk at
Sat Jul 12 14:11:45 CEST 2008

Does it make any difference to leave the gps running 15 minutes plus
(probably a few multiples of 15 minutes is best) then power off for a
few minutes and then back on?

My freerunner isnt here yet, but my experience on a cheap bluetooth gps
that I though just had occasional conniptions was actually operating
according to design

On the first fix (or a fix after a few weeks on the shelf powered off),
it would take some time (once being over a day with poor signal) to get
a fix, after which it would be fine getting a nearly instant fix on

Turns out the device needs information downloaded from a satellite and
can take ~13 minutes to do so.  And at least one article mentioned that
any problem/lost/corrupted data caused it to start again at the next
start point.  So if you have a poor signal, something blocks it at a
critical point, you can scratch that 15 minutes.

As the freerunner has come straight from the factory, probably with none
of this data, it will need at least 15 minutes with a good signal to get
its data up to date.  This data is also valid for 6 weeks which explains
the erratic operation after extended periods of non-use of my bluetooth

Learnt a lot reading up on this :)
A good thread!

On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 10:25 +0100, Jonathan Spooner wrote:
> I've been playing with my GPS and finally got a fix using agps diag
> tool. I stood the gta02 up on my garden table using a pop bottle :-)  I

William Kenworthy <billk at>
Home in Perth!