Is Multi-touch in Freerunner's Future?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sat Jul 12 17:21:45 CEST 2008

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:09:41 +0200 "Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" <mail at 3v1n0.net>
babbled:

> Kelvie Wong wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:08 PM, Charles Pax <charles.pax at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Will we ever see multi-touch on the current Freerunner hardware revision? I
> >> remember hearing something about how it's supported by the hardware, but
> >> we're limited by X.org.
> >>
> >> -Charles
> >
> > Actually, X.org supports it (google for MPX), the hardware does not.
>
> Well, read last posts by the MPX author about multi-pointer vs
> multi-touch. It isn't the same thing. So, actually it should be easier
> to implement, but I don't know if it's completely available yet.

indeed multi-touch != multipointer - peter is right. multitouch devices could
be exported by xinput devices (The same ones used for wacom tablets for example
that gimp and inkscape can use).

BUT u'd need software to catch up and then actually use the xinput devices and
interpret their input sensibly and frankly THAT is a big problem.

as such freerunner does not have multitouch. freerunner is a product. its
future is staying exactly as it is - it is not a LINE of products. a future
device openmoko makes may or may not have multitouch, but as such we have
enough work and problem getting single touch working right and all the apps in
a state of "this is good enough for a mere mortal to use". multitouch is just a
complete distraction until then that will waste time.