Robotics and Openmoko

steve steve at
Sun Jul 13 20:32:39 CEST 2008

We need Openmoko robot wars.

From: community-bounces at
[mailto:community-bounces at] On Behalf Of Peter Harrison
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 9:25 PM
To: List for Openmoko community discussion
Subject: Re: Robotics and Openmoko

I have a blog at:

Under the "science" tab I've got all my Open Boat content, with articles
from conception to implementation. I've made some mistakes along the way,
some quite expensive - such as blowing up a motor controller by plugging it
into the wrong polarity, and I am still to have a 100% operational boat.
However, I'm not far away.

I've just been made redundant through restructuring so I have some time to
write up things in some more detail.

My next challenge is developing the magnetic compass hardware and software.
I know there are commercial compasses, but they are kind of expensive. I'm
going to use two hall effect sensors and see if I can write the software to
interpret the readings from these sensors.

I've also been writing a simulator which will be able to test the software.
And yes - I will be releasing all the source very soon. It was suggested I
add to the Wiki projects page as well - so I will. As you can see I have a
bit on my to do list now :)