OT: Do Linux-oriented companies use Linux?

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Sun Jul 13 22:26:38 CEST 2008

Hi,
I'm interested in promoting the use of Linux at the workplace. I've found
that invariably policies at companies make it harder to use Linux as they
will prohibit its use on the network, or use MS-centric tools like
Exchange or proprietary document formats or software that requires Windows.
This was even the case at my previous company where they develop
applications on Solaris. They require everyone to have good Linux/Unix
knowledge but actively discourage using Linux/OpenSolaris at the workplace.

I was wondering how this is handled at companies like Openmoko (or is it
FIC?).
What is the network setup like, which OS is standard? What do you guys use
on your laptops?

Thanks for any info.

Richard.