MokSec - The Security Framework

Crane, Matthew mcrane03 at
Mon Jul 14 15:56:50 CEST 2008

Once the device is powered, and the correct key entered, I would expect
it would remain in memory until the phone is powered off.  Parnoid types
would of course disable network access.

Nearly all phones have a secured access mode, where you enter a pin
every time you access the phone.  That's a must for some.

-----Original Message-----
From: community-bounces at
[mailto:community-bounces at] On Behalf Of arne anka
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 9:26 AM
To: List for Openmoko community discussion
Subject: Re: MokSec - The Security Framework

> How would being root help somebody decrypt a filesystem?  Accessing an
> encrypted filesystem should depend only on having the correct key.

well, to be really usefull the fs should be mounted transparently
in the passphrase on every access seems utterly tedious with that tiny
keyboard -- and would probably add to the exposure risk).
or you need to store the passphrase somewhere on the fr and access it by

some automatic.
in both cases somebody finding or stealing your fr would be able to read

your encrypted data.

please, correct me, if i am wrong.

Openmoko community mailing list
community at