MokSec - The Security Framework

thomasg thomas at gstaedtner.net
Mon Jul 14 17:16:59 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Kalle Happonen <kalle.happonen at iki.fi>
wrote:

> What an insult! *slap* :P. No I'm not a windows user. and I can set the
> root password on my device, but defaults matter. And they matter a lot
> if openmoko will become more mass-market. A firewall migth be a bit
> heavy, I agree, every watt and cycle should try to be saved, but making
> dropbear just listen to the usb interface would be a pretty good
> compromise, if that is possible.

Ok, sorry, that was a too mean joke :P
The situation with no root password set is of course not bearable, but I'm
pretty sure that this issue will be solved in a consumer-ready release.
What I'd imagine would be a kind of "first-run-guide", that "forces" (or
allows, however you want :) ) the user to do all the important settings at
the first run of the phone (could be used for backup purposes, too, e.g.
load an xml-file with the settings).
Would make the life way easier for newbies.

However, later on an easily configurable firewall would be almost
> essential imho. Connecting to the phone (any port) over the wifi should
> (almost?)never be allowed as default. Even if the point with the phone
> is that users can do what they want, it doesn't mean that the apps they
> install shouldn't be protected. And a firewall is almost the only viable
> way. There's no easy way of making all the apps listen to just one
> interface, and while host.allow/deny is more lightweight than a
> firewall, those don't allow distinguishing of interface.

A firewall is always a more or less big piece of software, always not the
best for performance, and always a security risk (if it's not dedicated). It
also is not possible to do a easy and _good_ configuration, so however it's
done, it's always suboptimal.
There are not too much services running, and all of them are open source
software, so that is imho not that a big deal.