GPS

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 15:49:32 CEST 2008

2008/7/14 thomasg <thomas at gstaedtner.net>:
> This all are no arguments.
> With my TomTom device I can do a full reset so that no GPS data is available
> at all (also no time and so on) and still get a fix in < 3 minutes at 100
> km/h.

Ok, I don't claim my guess would be truth, I'm just guessing. Is it so
that when the fix has been gotten, it stays and works properly even
with (supposedly) very poor antenna like Neo's, even in places where
zero signal was seemingly being got before the fix was had
(elsewhere)?

The main interesting thing for me was that the map updated completely
fine inside a car and between tall buildings, after the fix was
finally gotten. Is this really possible if the problem is broken /
very poor antenna that cannot receive almost any signals? If such
finely working GPS function is not possible in the case antenna is so
poor that these fixes are so hard to get as it seems most of the time,
then it would more likely be this is the case of this (random)
internal/external switch problem instead of broken antenna otherwise.
Or if not that, then some other possibly software based problem
related to getting the fixes - again something in which I don't know
enough about GPS since I don't know if the software is supposed to do
something else besides telling the GPS chip to "get the fix, please".

-Timo