GPS

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 19:06:19 CEST 2008

On Monday 14 July 2008, arne anka wrote:
> >> So we just need to wrap 'save' and 'restore' scripts around the gpsd
> >> script?
> >
> > Basically yes, but this won't fix the problem. It's for later when the
>
> what exactly is the gpsd for, anyway?
> looking at my fr yesterday i noticed it is not installed anymore, if it
> ever was, that is, (and not available in the official feeds i got in my
> opkg-config).

gpsd is there so that more than one program can access the GPS device at the
same time, making it available over a network interface. Some apps can access
GPS data via gpsd but not directly from the device. I think tangogps is among
them.

Gypsy does something similar but shares it using dbus, and claims to be more
efficient. FSO will apparently be using gypsy instead of gpsd, but currently
more apps can connect to gpsd than gypsy.