Setting / checking fast charge in /sys/devices/platform/whatever

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 21:44:50 CEST 2008

Hi there,

It looks like my problem with SIM registration [1] may be easily
solvable simply by trying a different SIM or reseating the current one.

But because I'm fetishistic about following battery charging
instructions I don't want to try this (which requires removing the
battery) until the unit is fully charged.

The wiki [2] says:

   The battery can be charged using the provided charger (at 1000mA)
   or from a powered USB port capable of providing 500mA worth of
   current. Most computers will be able to charge the FreeRunner without
   any problems.

   Charging at 100mA takes 6-12 hours and at 500mA takes 1-2 hour

I understood the provided charger was a dumb one and that - because
the Freerunner is unable to communicate with it - an unpowered USB
connection would be assumed, the Freerunner would act conservatively,
only drawing 100mA.

Which is correct, please?

I decided to try forcing the Freerunner to fast-charge, and a little
Googling found me the CheckFastCharge-script on the Wiki [3].

Reading checkFastCharge.py I find that it checks '/sys/devices/
platform/s3c2410-i2c/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-0008/chgmode' and that fast
charging is indicated by "fast_cccv" there.

Presumably this script was written for the Neo1973, however, or a
different kernel, as on my Freerunner the location is '/sys/devices/
platform/s3c2440-i2c/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-0073/chgmode' and it
currently says "fast", not "fast_cccv" (or, for that matter, slow or
anything like that).

So is "fast" the correct syntax for the Freerunner's chgmode?
Has it somehow detected that the charger is capable of 500+ mA?
Or should I echo "fast_cccv" to that location?
What are the correct '/sys/devices/platform/s3c2440-i2c/i2c-adapter/
i2c-0/0-0073/chgmode' values for "slow" and no-charge for the
Freerunner, please? (using the default factory image)
Or is chgmode simply broken on the Freerunner's default factory image?

TIA for any suggestions,

Stroller.

[1] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-July/021677.html
[2] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/
Getting_Started_with_your_Neo_FreeRunner#Charging_the_Neo_Freerunner
[3] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/CheckFastCharge-script