Can OM's wiki be used offline?

john jptmoore at
Tue Jul 15 14:31:58 CEST 2008

A project I was on had a similar requirement of being able to search
and read documents offline on the iPhone *snarl*. Anyway, what I did
was port an excellent open source search engine called hyper estraier
[1] over to the iPhone and used that on various kinds of documents. As
a test I indexed over 2000 PDFs from MIT OpenCourseWare. It works
really well [2]. I used lighttpd for the web server. All these
technologies will work fine on the 1973/Freerunner. If there is an
interest in this I could package it up for Openmoko. There is also
potential for developing a native GUI local search tool using hyper
estraier because it comes with a C API and other language bindings.
This would remove the web server dependency.