Reason for GPS problems found!

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 22:10:41 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 15 July 2008, Kalle Happonen wrote:
> Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> > indeed, especially since I see possibility for it to be twofold: if it
> > is not purely an issue of SD card in place putting physical stress on
> > the board somehow (would be worth checking with dummy plastic
> > insert instead of real SD card), it means that
>
> I just ran three tests. Without SD card, with SD card with tape over the
> contacts, and SD card normally. This doesn't seem to be mechanical,
> since the first two cases got fixes in ~45 seconds, and with the SD card
> actually in and working I stopped waiting after 10 minutes.

I did the same test with the same conclusion - physical presence of card with
contacts covered gives the same result as no card - in my case fix in 135s
with about 5s variation either side, 7 sats in view from a location indoors
near a window. Uncovering the contacts found time and 2 sats after ~200s but
no more before I gave up a couple of minutes later.

I was looking for something
under /sys/devices/platform/glamo3362.0/glamo-mci.0/mmc_host to power the
interface down and try it that way. Not spotted anything that looks like the
bluetooth or gps power interfaces though :-( Perhaps I'm looking for the
wrong thing...