Reason for GPS problems found!

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 16 00:02:49 CEST 2008

Am Di  15. Juli 2008 schrieb Jay Vaughan:
> > You ever bought a piece of HW you were guaranteed there is
> > *definitively* no
> > hardware bug in it? None, or you get a billion$?
> > c'mon!
> >

> Ever heard of Consumers rights?  Lemon Laws?  You can't sell hardware
> that you know has bugs in it, legally, in many places around the world.

Ever thought about I might feel personally offended by you publically assuming
I sell hw I *know* or even have suspect there is a HW-bug in it. Ever heard
of laws about this?

> >> Perhaps those complaining are those who can least afford to
> >> blow $399.
> > That's why I say I don't like those people.
>
> They are your customers.  This is an open source project, people have
> a chance to communicate.
And I have this chance too. I just say "I don't like those people..."
I'm not obliged to like them.

> > They never noticed the bug, and
> > when we are about to discuss it and to offer a solution they start
> > whining. "OOOh, the BAD bug. If only I never had bought..."
> > Instead of plain asking what we're going to do to MAKE EVERYBODY
> > HAPPY again.
> > (what we are already about to do!)
>

> Sure will be nice when its done, but for now, we do need to keep
> talking about the issue, and the point needs to be made that this *is*
> a serious issue for many people, if it doesn't get resolved in a
> fashion that makes sense.  I'm already miffed about the Glamo/SD issue
> - for me, Glamo was one of the great things about Freerunner on
> 'paper', and now its not so useful after all.  I would be really
> turned off if the same thing happened to GPS.
>
> So, yes, please tune us into the fix when you've got one.  But in the
> meantime, no need to get upset because your customers are
> communicating with each other..

Did you consider the public image that's being created by a statement like "Ah
well, this seems not to work. So the brick is useless for me. Damn the day I
bought it"
This statement is offending and deprecating on all the people that are
actually about to fix the issue that's so bitterly complained about. And it's
an implicit lie as there's no problem we resigned on to solve it and put the
device to use for the complaining customer.

But honestly, I don't like to continue this debate, and I actually don't have
the time to.
Have some bugs to fix, U know ;-) Appreciate our efforts or not.

ETX
jOERG