What *is* the warranty on the Freerunners?

ian douglas ian.douglas at iandouglas.com
Wed Jul 16 00:18:44 CEST 2008

That is, what does it cover?

I have a box of Freerunners beside me, but they've been purchased as a
bulk order for 10 other buyers, so I don't want to open the boxes to see
if there's any warranty information inside.

My impression was that the 14-day warranty on single units and 28-day
warranty on bulk orders was to cover DOA units only. That if the whole
thing failed to power on despite charging, etc.etc. that it could be
returned.

Does the warranty cover more than this? ie: if we only have a 14/28 day
warranty to return a broken Freerunner, who has communicated to us what
defines "broken" ?

There's obviously been a huge amount of traffic on the list today about
the GPS unit in the Freerunners and Joerg has hinted at a possible
hardware fix to follow a software fix in the kernel. Does our warranty
cover "recalls" for fixes like this? If the hardware fix occurs after
our 14/28 day warranty period, does that mean we'll have to incur some
cost for the fix besides shipping the units back to OpenMoko?

I'd also like to add this warranty info on the wiki.

-id