Reason for GPS problems found!

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Wed Jul 16 00:51:12 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 00:37 +0200, Flemming Richter Mikkelsen wrote:
> This GPS problem shows a lot about the community vs openmoko.
> Some try to help (developers?)
> Some complain (regular users?)
*G*

> But what is really amazing is that a fix is almost ready right after
> the problem was addressed:)
That's true,... and thanks again to all involved people :-)

However,.. one must really think why this problem didn't turn out in the
factory tests :-(

> People with a working GPS without SD card, will soon have a
> working GPS no matter what. They should be extremely happy,
> not complain.
Hopefully even at full power (Jörg told about a hw fix =) ).

> On some phones, the GPS does not work without the SD card
> and I am afraid there will be no software work-around for that.
> The good thing is that this HW bug is only on a few of the phones.
Ok,.. but what will happen to those users? Will they get a free excange
device?

> I respect Openmoko and I know they do their very best to solve
> these issues. It is better to let them work with solutions than to
> complain.
Of course,... and I can imagine that it's very annoying to the
developers who do their best to read all those whining mails, even as
some of them were quite unfriendly.
But on the other hand one should not forget that the phone was a little
bit expensive,... some of us might be still students or have little
money for other reasons... thus I can understand if some of us were very
impatient in this issue :-)

Best wishes,
Chris.