Reason for GPS problems found!

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 16 02:47:32 CEST 2008

Am Mi  16. Juli 2008 schrieb Marco Trevisan (Treviño):
> Mikko Rauhala wrote:
> >> We're about to verify a hw-fix so you could even watch video and still
> >> have GPS positioning during that.
> >
> > Excellent. One would hope official retailers *cough*pulster*cough* would
> > be able to perform such an operation, once verified; perhaps allow for
> > fixes being done by local hw-capable people (sadly not me) without
> > voiding warranty...
>
> Well, I'm curious about that too. I've not a FR in my hands yet
> (HandsHeld-Linux should ship it on next days, and he talked me about
> analyzing some GPS issues...) but I'd like to know if this hw-fix will
> be doable by everyone or if it will need any special prerequisite.

I already asked you to be patient.
A hw-fix has to be "developed", it has to be tested on dozens of devices, it
has to be evaluated for cost&risk vs. benefit (maybe there are other possible
fixes. are they more effective? less dangerous?). Then it depends on purpose
of any hw-fix: is it for MP of new devices, for rework at some lab where
devices are sent in, or is it meant to be done by a DIY soldering iron
noob...
You see it's not that simple
We have to think about multiple scenarios and come up with an answer to each
of them, evaluating them, and then post some Standard Operating Procedure
suggestions to customers/community.

cheers
jOERG