Web server on the phone?

Dirk Bergstrom openmoko at otisbean.com
Wed Jul 16 09:35:13 CEST 2008

Basically all of my experience writing UIs is on the web.  I'd like to
run a webserver on the phone, so I can write dirt-simple UIs that way,
rather than getting tied up in GTK/e/Qt.

I see that there's a busybox server:

One might also consider thttpd:

Or shttpd:

I suspect any of them would be OK for serving static files.  However, I
wonder if CGI would be feasible.  I'm guessing that spawning a shell
script wouldn't be too hard, but I suspect that spinning up a whole
python process might be a bit much for the little arm CPU.  Anyone have
any thoughts on that?

Since I'm quite familiar with Django (http://www.djangoproject.com), I
thought I might just run the Django development server, which has a
toy-ish httpd server built in.  That way I'd already have python
running, so I'd avoid all the fork/exec/load-libraries overhead.

Not really sure where I'm going with this, just throwing out ideas to
see if anyone says yea or nay.