A Few Questions (Regarding images, wpa_supplicant, and core programs)

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 11:00:02 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 16 July 2008, malane at purdue.edu wrote:
> Here are a few questions as I'm getting myself situation with the
> FreeRunner:
>
> 1. My Messages program seems to take forever to load text messages from a
> contact.  Loading the list of contacts is great, and writing SMS to a
> contact also works well, but when I click to view the list of all text
> messages received (read texts), the program loads incredibly slow.

I've not seen this, but I don't have many messages or contacts on the SIM.

> 2. I'm also getting some bugs where my screen will lose it's "full screen"
> effect (the AUX button's fullscreen toggle has no effect) and a mouse
> cursor appears, and I'm unable to switch back to my Home program.

Window manager has crashed. I've seen it a couple of times, but not spotted
what causes it. You can ssh in and restart X, or reboot. It should be
possible to restart the window manager from the terminal too, but I haven't
worked out the command.

> 3.  Sometimes when power management is set on dim & lock, my phone will go
> asleep and will not wake up.  I have to tap the power button to wake it up
> into the lock screen, and thereafter my GSM will not work.

There were a number of kernel bugs which could cause problems during resume,
making it something of a lottery. Most (all?) of these have been addressed in
Andy's current kernel. I'm not sure if these have made it into the kernel
used for the daily builds though. A kernel update is certainly worth a try.

> 4. My wpa_supplicant is a bit old (0.5.5) and does not seem to provide PEAP
> support.  I was told that a newer wpa_supplicant was compiled with PEAP
> support (0.6.x I believe) but I cannot seem to update it from the
> repository.

mokomakefile builds 0.6.3-r1 so I would expect it to be in the daily builds
too. I've not tried it with PEAP.

> Should I just be using a newer image?  Will that fix the majority of my
> problems?  And if so, what image is popular (other than qtopia)?  I'd
> prefer to use the 2007.2 build as I like how it looks.

It's worth updating as some problems may have been fixed. If they haven't then
your bug reports will at least be against the current version ;-) I'm using
openmoko-devel-image build using mokomakefile with the matchbox keyboard,
tangogps and minimo.