Which Distro?

JW jameswillmer at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 16 11:04:11 CEST 2008

Hi Vijay

On 16/07/2008, Vijay Vaidyanathan <vvaidy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to make a decision on whether to drop in a new distribution to
> replace the 2007.2 that came preinstalled on my FR.
>

> Is there an "official" distribution that is blessed and "supported" by
> "OpenMoko - The Company" and is most future-proof.

Yes, this is the ASU that Openmoko is funding development of

However, it is not ready yet.

| I get the feeling that the answer is "not really"

More like not really ready yet
Openmoko are also keen to see community based efforts e.g. SHR

 and that users are sort of expected to pick whatever one they feel like
> hacking or think might eventually win out. If that is so, I have two follow
> up questions:
>
> 1. Why has OpenMoko (The Company) chosen not to support one definitive
> distribution as its official one? I'd like to understand the logic behind
> it. What are end-users (i.e. those who will surely have no desire to flash a
> new distro) expected to be eventually using?

They have.

Originally 2007.2 was the supported / official one - i think they paid
Openhand to make this for them.    Then they recognised the enormity of the
task around making this a complete working distro (also underlying probs
with stability of gsmd) and realised they needed to take advantage of the
Trolltech work

Now it is ASU .... be patient...

 2. Which distro are you currently using, and why?

None, i don't have a FR yet

JW