Web server on the phone?
openmoko at ginguppin.de
Wed Jul 16 11:34:12 CEST 2008
> Basically all of my experience writing UIs is on the web. I'd like to
> run a webserver on the phone, so I can write dirt-simple UIs that way,
> rather than getting tied up in GTK/e/Qt.
jikes! why would one do that?
- any correctly designed webserver would hinder you from accessing the
files of the underlying system, except your webapp
- you would need o lot of code to connect to the underlying systems api,
so you may access the system
- there would be another layer consuming resources
- you'd need to protect your phone/webserver from being connected to from
the world (firewall or so) which probably will eat another share of
- to access your app you will need a running browser(engine) which will
eat resources too
- every interaction will be from browser to server and back and you will
probably need a resource hog like ajax to accomplish something resembling
a native app
just for fun it might be a nice idea -- for productive use the idea seems
braindead to me.
if you know python already it should be not much effort to learn how to
program with pyqt or pygtk ...
More information about the community