Web server on the phone?

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Wed Jul 16 11:34:12 CEST 2008

> Basically all of my experience writing UIs is on the web.  I'd like to
> run a webserver on the phone, so I can write dirt-simple UIs that way,
> rather than getting tied up in GTK/e/Qt.

jikes! why would one do that?

- any correctly designed webserver would hinder you from accessing the
files of the underlying system, except your webapp
- you would need o lot of code to connect to the underlying systems api,
so you may access the system
- there would be another layer consuming resources
- you'd need to protect your phone/webserver from being connected to from
the world (firewall or so) which probably will eat another share of
resources
- to access your app you will need a running browser(engine) which will
eat resources too
- every interaction will be from browser to server and back and you will
probably need a resource hog like ajax to accomplish something resembling
a native app

just for fun it might be a nice idea -- for productive use the idea seems
braindead to me.
if you know python already it should be not much effort to learn how to
program with pyqt or pygtk ...