Wishlist Re: Can OM's wiki be used offline?

Joachim Steiger roh at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 16 13:06:36 CEST 2008

Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Dear Syadmins, look below
>
>> I, like others, agree that a mobile version of the OM wiki would be
>> invaluable. I can't imagine the strain on the wiki server from everyone
>> suddenly doing recursive wget launches ;o)
well... google does that all the time (indexing) ;)

> exactly my point. unfortunately mokopedia
>  * was wikipedia DB dumps oriented (thus cannot be applied to OM wiki)
>  * is pretty much dead and ad-hoc from what I see

? sorry, i would say josch would disagree ;)

see http://mokopedia.mister-muffin.de/

> wget, wwwoffle etc spider downloaders are not an option even if someone
> would craft very careful set of options to don't download wiki
> diffs,logs,etc. I just installed wwwoffle to see what is the beast... in
> few minutes it started caching wiki.openmoko.org, I said "cool", but
> then I saw that it sceduled massive amount of diffs of wiki pages (which
> sure thing are available) -- so I had to kill it.

yeah, would like to avoid that too ;) not that we couln't still take mor
e load, but somehow i like efficiency ;)

what i do not see is a 'standardized' format in which wikis like this
mediawiki can be dumped, diffed and synced.

the plugins into mediawiki seem stale, old and not applying on recent
versions of mediawiki. we use a quite recent 1.12

some advice from people deeper into mediawiki than us admins would be nice.

> I guess we should direct this question to the admin of OM wiki...
> who take care about the website according to
> http://admin-trac.openmoko.org/trac
> where I was trying to comment on
> https://admin-trac.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1435
> which is pretty much what we need for offline support
> but got
> ,--
> | Oops…
> | Trac detected an internal error:
> |
> | OperationalError: database is locked
> |
> | There was an internal error in Trac. It is recommended that you inform your local Trac administrator and give him all the information he needs to reproduce the issue.
> |
> | The action that triggered the error was:
> |
> | POST: /ticket/1435
> `---
> thus I am informing them in this email that I was trying to comment on that 1435 with
>
> ,--------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | I would love to have dump service available.
> | Recently I inquired community mailing list on either there is a
> | reasonable way to get offline copy of wiki
> | http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-July/021713.html
> | and sure thing first advices were 'to use wget' ;-) so, having official
> | dumps (in a digestable format by some other tools, or even in pure DB,
> | thus requiring LAMP setup) and may be incremental bin diffs to them (for
> | a week or two) would help to avoid waste of bandwidth if someone needs
> | an offline copy of wiki, which is pretty much the only source of
> | information on howto/wtf/rtfm/anything about GTA phones.
> |
> `---

please try again. this should not happen. couldnt find a error in the
logs. weird tho.
if it doesn't work, afain, write me a direct mail and we debug it off list

kind regards

--

Joachim Steiger
Openmoko Central Services