Reason for GPS problems found!

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 18:24:49 CEST 2008

2008/7/17 Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com>:
> || http://moko.mwester.net/dl.html#kernels which has the sdcard clock
>
> | I tried the kernel too, but it didn't help. Didn't get any fixes in 3
> | minutes when having SD card in (not in use, ie. maps not there).
> | Removed the SD card and got a TTFF in 34 seconds.
>
> Two points about testing it:
>
> ~ - order of tests can matter.  If you get a "good" test first, it seems
> the requirements for next test can be relaxed by GPS chip and we don't
> really test it then.

I did get the "bad" test first, ie. didn't get fix, SD card inserted.
Then powered off, removed SD card and got the fixes. I could also
repeat the feat by swapping SD card in and out between shutdowns.

> ~ - patch only helps if SD Card is not accessed.  I read a thread
> yesterday in devel list about some ASU / Qtopia component spamming SD
> Card after start up.

Using 2007.2, and not accessing SD.

The place I used is my balcony, which is generally not too good place.
However, since I didn't get any visible benefit in any area from using
the new kernel, I stopped testing for now.

I haven't seen any other readily available builds besides those
mwester's andy+wester builds, but hopefully others can test eg. them
also.

-Timo