Wiki Index was Re: Wiki editors

John Reese jreese at leetcode.net
Thu Jul 17 21:43:39 CEST 2008

Stroller wrote:
> The purpose of user pages is generally for users to tell readers
> about themselves.
>
> "Hi, my name is Bob and I've been an Openmoko user for 2 years. I
> have a PHd in technical writing and I enjoy contributing to the wiki
> in my spare time."
>
> Just look at some of the Wikipedia user pages for fuller examples -
> there they often display "awards" for number of edits made, the
> user's country of origin (even countries they've travelled to!)
> spheres of wiki interest and probably even hobbies!
>
> It is right and logical that user pages shouldn't be indexed.
>
> It is wrong (and "illogical") that zedlock should be listed only on
> Quicksand's user page - it should have a proper page to itself.

Definitely agreed.

> although I have to admit to being reluctant myself to edit
> someone else's userpage!!.

Same here, as that's the one area of a public wiki that I still feel
someone else has "ownership" of;  rare exceptions include
objectionable/inappropriate content/spam.  However, I should think it
would not be out of line to copy the content to it's own page, and then
place a short message/link on the user's page to the new location.

--
John Reese
LeetCode.net