Operation without battery (GTA02)

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Thu Jul 17 23:06:44 CEST 2008

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:07:51 +0200, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:

>>> Probably GSM trying to pull ~2A for transmitting.
>>> This will make the device shut down instantly.
>>> Try disabling GSM!

>> Turning GSM off from the power menu didn't help.
>> Besides, I don't even have a SIM card inserted.

> This seems to be to do with the PMU charger deciding to start charging
> empty air making trouble.  The charger is autonomous and runs by itself
> on its own schedule.  Maybe we can find a way to defeat this behaviour,
> but for now you need a battery in to boot and to stay running.

Did it work and then regress, or has it never worked? I remember people on
the list mentioning running without a battery.

However, running without a battery isn't really a use case. While plugged
in, the phone can survive without a battery for several seconds, which is
enough to quickly insert a spare.