tmobile wifi voice calls

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Fri Jul 18 03:10:02 CEST 2008

First we need a phone app that supports SIP.

I would very very much like to use the FR as a SIP phone. I don't need T-Mobile for that (and neither does anyone else), we just need a working phone app that supports VOIP as a back end, and access to open WiFi AP's (plenty of those around).

I have a Diamondcard/Ekiga account for phone calls to the POTS network, and it works great and is dirt cheap. I wouldn't want to deal with proprietary crap like whatever T-Mobile is going to foist upon people.

Is anyone porting Ekiga to the FR? I saw a component in ASU that looks like a VOIP "back end" for the Qtopia phone app; that'd kick ass if it was working. Any ideas what I'd need to do to get it to work?

-ken