Rules based policy engine

Kalle Kärkkäinen kalle.karkkainen at intstream.fi
Fri Jul 18 08:53:25 CEST 2008

Alexey Feldgendler:
> The problem with this is that one needs to think like a programmer to
> describe your “ideal phone” as a set of rules like these. Not only does
> one have to think analytically and dissect their concept into orthogonal,
> machine-checkable rules, but from your examples it's also clear that for
> such a wide range of possibilities a whole *language* with *expressions*
> (at least boolean) is necessary.

I'd go another way. Instead of language or script I'd talk of phone
profiles. Add timeprofiles and geotags to a profile switcher and you are
set. Think of it like a screensaver. You enter a tagged area (tagged
silent, cause its a restaurant), phone goes silent.

Same could well apply to the mistress example you provided. :)

In principle this could all be implemented with a 'default timeline' and
a set of geotagging tools. In addition profile would need an emergency
override like in the example of the babysitter. I think I'd implement
this as a feature for contact (calls from babysitter tend to be
important all around, no matter what I'm doing), or a profile (elevate
contact group workbuddies).

This would keep it simple. It'd be GUI based. And still pretty powerful.

--
Kalle Kärkkäinen