Import Contacts

Roland Mas lolando at debian.org
Fri Jul 18 09:24:46 CEST 2008

Alexander Lehner, 2008-07-18 04:06:53 +0200 :

> - unicode/UTF8

> I managed to convert vcard fields into proper UTF-8 (from plain
> ASCII).  But it seems to me that UTF-8 conversion is not well
> supported with the basic (python) set-up on the phone. I had to do
> this on my linux host.

  To be honest, the main reason I wrote manage-contacts.py was to be
able to edit contacts on my main computer :-)  I'm frightened enough
by the input method of the Freerunner, I don't even want to think
about entering Unicode characters on it just yet.

> Also, the resulting characters were not correctly displayed in my
> case even though contacts import did not complain (any experience
> here whether display of e.g. german umlaute works?)

  No umlaute here, but I do have some French accented letters such as
é and è and aven one æ, and they display fine.  I even tried typing my
Japanese teacher's name in Japanese, but apparently there's no
Japanese-capable font in OM2007.2 so far.

  While I'm at it: it might be interesting setting a proper locale
name in /etc/profile, so contacts are sorted according properly.  I
did that with "export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8", so names starting with É sort
among the names starting with E rather than at the very end.  The
backside of that is that agpsui tries to interpret gpsd's output as
fr_FR, with its decimal separator set to a comma rather than a dot,
and therefore wrong data comes out.  But I suspect that's just a bug.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

/* Halley */ (Halley's comment.)