lolando at debian.org
Fri Jul 18 09:24:46 CEST 2008
Alexander Lehner, 2008-07-18 04:06:53 +0200 :
> - unicode/UTF8
> I managed to convert vcard fields into proper UTF-8 (from plain
> ASCII). But it seems to me that UTF-8 conversion is not well
> supported with the basic (python) set-up on the phone. I had to do
> this on my linux host.
To be honest, the main reason I wrote manage-contacts.py was to be
able to edit contacts on my main computer :-) I'm frightened enough
by the input method of the Freerunner, I don't even want to think
about entering Unicode characters on it just yet.
> Also, the resulting characters were not correctly displayed in my
> case even though contacts import did not complain (any experience
> here whether display of e.g. german umlaute works?)
No umlaute here, but I do have some French accented letters such as
é and è and aven one æ, and they display fine. I even tried typing my
Japanese teacher's name in Japanese, but apparently there's no
Japanese-capable font in OM2007.2 so far.
While I'm at it: it might be interesting setting a proper locale
name in /etc/profile, so contacts are sorted according properly. I
did that with "export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8", so names starting with É sort
among the names starting with E rather than at the very end. The
backside of that is that agpsui tries to interpret gpsd's output as
fr_FR, with its decimal separator set to a comma rather than a dot,
and therefore wrong data comes out. But I suspect that's just a bug.
/* Halley */ (Halley's comment.)
More information about the community