GPS, VMWare and question about bluetooth headset

Mike Montour mail at mmontour.net
Fri Jul 18 09:46:25 CEST 2008

Johan Badenhorst wrote:

>  At the moment
> that is a bit tricky because of the echo and interference when making
> phone calls, but I believe that these issues aren't insurmountable.  The
> reason I got an open phone is because when issues like these creep up I
> have the option of getting in there and trying to sort it out myself.
>
> It is with that in mind that I will be installing XOScope to do some
> tests of my own.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  In ticket 1267 the following statement is made:
>
> /"With a few mixer tweaks it is possible to send a 1 kHz PCM tone out
> through the call speaker"/
>
> Can someone ellaborate on what these tweaks are?

You may be able to use the
"/usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/voip-handset.state" profile. Otherwise,
it's a matter of studying the WM8753 diagram as shown on the "Neo1973
Audio Subsystem" wiki page and setting the appropriate mixer controls to
route PCM audio to the speaker and to route the mic2 audio into the ADC.
Note that the Freerunner has different audio wiring (and a different
amplifier chip) than the Neo1973, but I don't think there's a dedicated
wiki page for it yet.

In addition to xoscope I have been using the 'jaaa' spectrum analyzer
from http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/ (which includes a sine-wave
or noise generator). There's a bitbake recipe for it in the
org.openmoko.dev branch of the Openmoko git repository.

> 2.  a)  A bluetooth headset is mentioned as a possible workaround, has
> anyone tested this,

I've tried but failed to get a Plantronics 220 to work. One person on
IRC said that he had managed to get headset audio to work, but I don't
know any other details.