Proper mixer settings for music playback, or hardware fixes?

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 13:17:05 CEST 2008

Hi,

I now got myself those Motorola-compatible 2.5mm->3.5mm adapters to
hook up my normal headphones (Koss KSC-35) in FreeRunner. I had heard
about some resistor in wrong place resulting in high-pass filter and
basically making music listening unbearable. I'm generally hoping I
could use Neo also as music playback device, at least with extra
battery pack.

The initial sound quality indeed lacks all bass. However, there's a
gigantic amount of alsamixer settings available - would these be
documented anywhere, or has anyone been thoroughly going through
those?

I found that Bass Filter has a scale going from most normal ("200Hz @
8kHz") to most thinny voice ("130Hz @ 48kHz"), but how those settings
should be interpreted? The whole range is, in order:
200Hz @ 8kHz
100Hz @ 8kHz
400Hz @ 48kHz
100Hz @ 16kHz
200Hz @ 48kHz
130Hz @ 48kHz

Sounds weird to me.

Additionally there is a Bass settings, initially 0. And Bass Boost,
with either "Linear Control" or "Adaptive Boost". With Bass set to 100
and Bass Boost set to Adapative Boost, together with "200Hz @ 8kHz"
setting, the sound is starting to resemble something of a normal,
though quite far from ideal. Linear Control is probably better,
Adaptive Boost seems to clip sometimes with heavy bass.

But that's not all, there are like 10 pages of mixer settings with
varying level of crypticness (to me).

And finally, could there be a hardware fix for this headphone audio
quality, or is it at least planned for GTA03 to have better audio
quality from the headphone jack?

-Timo