new list for wiki (and other documentation) maintainers, and anyone interested in helping them

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Fri Jul 18 20:00:56 CEST 2008

Hi,

A number of community members have volunteered to put time into our
wiki. There followed some discussion about how best to proceed, and
quickly a suggestion was made to create a separate list to allow this
coordination to take place without bothering those uninterested.

After a number of suggestions, we agreed to name the new mailing list
simply "wiki".

In spite of this, I decided to take a different approach and named the
new mailing list "documentation".

The reason is simple: All documentation needs to be coordinated: wiki,
web pages, printed, etc. There is rarely a reason to duplicate what is
already available, and by focusing on what is documented nowhere we make
good use of our time. Also, it is common for one form of documentation
to refer to another, and changes should be synchronized. Finally, a
consistent theme be very nice.

 From a practical point of view, 95% of our current documentation is in
fact just the wiki, so I don't think it will make much of a difference
anyway. We don't need to worry about wiki maintainers being drowned out
by our other documentors.

And finally, if this really is a problem we can change it.

SO:

If you volunteered to be a wiki maintainer, please visit
https://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/documentation and sign up
for the new list.

If you are interested in following the discussion, or have suggestions
or other helpful comments please join as well. This list is not
restricted to those doing the work.

Please note that the list is primarily intended to help the wiki
maintainers and other documentation organizers coordinate amongst
themselves in order to improve our documentation. We intend for a high
signal-to-noise ratio, and threads not deemed sufficiently useful will
be requested to move elsewhere.

Please show your appreciation to the wiki maintainers by using the list
for its intended purpose.

I am on the list, and I welcome your feedback and comments on the list
if your comments move us towards the goal of improving our
documentation, or privately otherwise.

Sincerely,
Michael