Special Letters?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sun Jul 20 17:47:31 CEST 2008

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:18:37 +0200 Roland Mas <lolando at debian.org> babbled:

> arne anka, 2008-07-20 16:01:34 +0200 :
>
> > sadly enough i currently have no clue what causes the lack of
> > anything non-ascii, would have expected he fr to be unicode driven.
>
> I think it is Unicode driven.  My contacts have some non-ascii
> characters in their names, and they display just fine.  I guess the
> problem is mostly the input method.

in ASU (not in current .dev build though, but in SVN for illume) the keyboard
layout is customisable via a config file and can produce any keystroke that x
is capable of (so it can produce ä, ó, ñ, ø etc.) but i don't have a layout
that has every one of these in it currently, but it's a simple text file to put
in a directory (.kbd file). for now it has 3 layouts, simply letters-only
qwerty, "numeric" that covers the other keys (numbers, symbols) and a few
accented chars, and a full qwerty layout (ok it is missing F1-F12, Pause/Break
and PrtSc/SysRq but ... if u really want u can try cram them in somehow...). i
will add anther key layout for "intl" chars (accented ones etc.).

in the end i imagine people might do custom layouts for a language (eg german
would only have ä, ö, ü and ß). romainian some other set, danish another set.
etc. nice simple text files for everyone to enjoy :) this should allo for a
greek and russian layout too, katakana/hragana, hangul, thai, ... anything
really. but right now right-to-left languages wont work (well)
(arabic/farsi/hebrew). unfortunatly that is really near the bottom of my list...