Rules based policy engine

matt joyce matt.joyce at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 23:37:45 CEST 2008

arne anka wrote:
>> It may be possible to use GSM call towers to give a good enough location
>> for these rules.
>>

> a gsm cell is usually much bigger than most restaurants -- and gps might
> not be available inhouse.
> btw: a rule that analyses calendar entries and depending of the character
> of the appointment disables ringing might be sensible.
> thus i only have to select the importance/category of the appointment and
> not to worry about forgetting to disable the phone.

I agree.
An extensible rules system which others developers can hook into would
allow for this.
The user might just select a phone profile (Do not disturb, except...)
when they set her calendar appointment, and a rule can be generated,
without the users becoming a programmer.
A rule might exist, set profile whenever I meet with this contact, and
the profile is auto-selected when the appointment is made.

Matt