Influence of WiFi on GPS readings (200m error)

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 17:15:58 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 07:54 -0700, C R McClenaghan wrote:
> I'm not sure where the fault lies, but with tangogps, I seem to get a
> scatter plot displayed for my position. Initially the fix seems
> accurate, then it starts to wander, although I may not be. If I am
> moving, the trial doesn't seem to follow the route I've taken. I think
> it may be tangogps, but I thought I'd try using my garmin bluetooth in
> a "side by side" kind of test to see whether it is tangogps or the gps
> radio.

tangogps just uses whatever comes from the GPS chip. No mangling
whatsoever. You can test it by just dumping the output of /dev/ttySAC1
to a logfile, convert it to GPX or KML and use it with Google maps.

The u-blox chip is quite jittery (extremly so when used with an SD card
without the fixes, be it kernel or additional capacitor).

Additionally in a city the accuracy of any GPS while driving or walking
will deviate up to 50m from your real position. Just have a look at
openstreetmap GPX traces for various cities...

The performance of the u-blox chip (without an SD card) is impressive -
apart from that flaw the hardware guys at openmoko have done an
excellent job.

Last word about the jitter: most GPS chips support different modes, one
where they flatten out the GPS signal and a 'straight' one. Have a look
into the u-blox binary protocol and you will most likely find something
there to switch - I know that SIRF has something to this account. The
Globallocate chip in the Neo 1973 does flatten by default. However, you
need to go between 10m and 20m before it starts to 'believe' that you
move. The u-blox tells you after 3-4m.

Marcus