Special Letters?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Mon Jul 21 20:40:11 CEST 2008

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:18:37 +0200 Ole Holm Frandsen <froksen at gmail.com>
babbled:

> Sounds great that it will be possible to create better support for
> Danish and other "non-english" languages. Does anyone know when the
> SVN build might become "stabile"?
> But there is no way at the moment du fix this issue?

right now as of svn rev 151 of illume - the keyboard is fully functional, and
the internal illume one is enabled by default (no choice right now to turn it
off - will add that), and it ships with 3 layouts by default with a layout
selector. i changed the .kbd text format a little, but you can see examples of
inlt chars in the Numbers.kbd (i included a few). someone can make an Intl.kbd
with all the usual european accent chars in it and maybe russian and greek and
other .kbd files. have at it. maybe you want qwertz not qwerty? dunno. you guys
decide! i'm just trying to make it easy for you so that policy isnt locked in
code, and you just have config files or other config parameters you can twiddle
with to get what you want. it's not perfect, but it's not too shabby. again -
sorry for RtoL speakers. not supported (and RtoL languages are painful to
support especially for display in mixed LtoR and RtoL text). will one day get
to it.

nb - for asian languages (traditional or simplified chinese by zuhin or pinyin,
you will need ALSO an input method handler like uim, scim, kinput etc. etc.).

maybe it makes sense eventually fo the keyboard to also include input method
integration so the buffer when doing dictionary-lookup and correction displays
the input method compose buffer... but i'm going to worry about that after
simpler european langauges are done. (probably before RtoL though).