Accelerometer(s), Camera, and Memory

Joachim Steiger roh at openmoko.org
Mon Jul 21 22:25:48 CEST 2008

> Dee Ayy wrote:
>> So my question is the same as Francesco Cat's.  Where exactly are the
>> accelerometers positioned on the device?
>> Would someone please confirm why there are 2 accelerometers?

yes there are.
the intent was to detect rotation afaik.

one accelerometer is 45° tilted rotated to the left, directly behind the
aux button.
the other one is mounted horizontal in the lower right corner below the
display and right of the mic.

you can see the distance is kinda maximized and the '45° rotation'
between the 2 accels comes afaik from some recommendation of a datasheet
if i remember correctly. something about maximizing resolution and
compensating one of the 3 axis having one bit less resolution.

one can see both accelerometers quite easy when the front cover of the
fr is removed. (lcm side, no need to dissassemble further)
left of the reciever-speaker contact pads is the rtc battery and then
the accel and the aux key.
on the other end of the moko you can see the mic in the middle and the
accel right of it.
yes, its these small black rectangular boxes with 12 pads. about 5x2.5mm

kind regards

--

Joachim Steiger
Openmoko Central Services