Why is Qtopia much faster?

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Jul 22 01:38:33 CEST 2008

Am 21.07.2008 um 20:08 schrieb Lorn Potter:

> Tilman Baumann wrote:
>> Yorick Moko wrote:
>>> This might be a stupid question, but it isn't the first and will not
>>> be the last stupid one I ask :).
>>> I have glimpsed at the 2007.2, ASU and qtopia image (the latest
>>> builds) and a very noticable difference is the speed.
>>> Will this improve in the ASU and the 2007.2 or should I not get my
>>> hopes on? Qtopia just responds and seems to load everything faster.
>>
>> Qtopia has a more integrated aproach. They load plugins for different
>> features. (AFAIK)
>> And the other systems launch new programs for each task. Sometimes
>> even
>> based on different frameworks. (e,gtk,qt)
>> There are ideas how to speed them up. Like pre-loading or integrating
>> the basic phone apps into one binary.
>>
>> If you want speed now, take qtopia. What you get is a phone.
>> The other systems go a few steps further...
>
> how so?

Well, a almost desktop compliant x11 system with a wide variety of
frameworks, libs and programming languages.
Openmoko is by design more something like a mobile computing platform
wich has GSM too.

I might do qtopia more wrong than is fair. But they modelling just a
regular smart phone like you can get from most vendors.
With a very closed (but opensource) framework wich you can develop for.

You can not port your garden variety x11 app to qtopia. Which you can
(almost) do with the other frameworks.

And of course the fact that it does not use x11, i expected you to
know that. ;-)

It really depends, many people like the simple qtopia stack. But i did
not buy my Neo to have a phone that does essentially what any better
Motorola or Nokia could do too.

Regards
  Tilman