Why is Qtopia much faster?

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Jul 22 10:58:57 CEST 2008

Am 22.07.2008 um 02:38 schrieb Lorn Potter:

> Tilman Baumann wrote:

>>> how so?
>>
>> Well, a almost desktop compliant x11 system with a wide variety of
>> frameworks, libs and programming languages.
>
> It will be hard to achieve a consistent look and feel across all
> these toolkits.
> Not to mention inter process communication.

Well, yes. Not everything that is possible actually makes sense.
But it _can_ be done.

>> Openmoko is by design more something like a mobile computing platform
>> wich has GSM too.
>>
>> I might do qtopia more wrong than is fair. But they modelling just a
>> regular smart phone like you can get from most vendors.
>> With a very closed (but opensource) framework wich you can develop
>> for.
>>
>> You can not port your garden variety x11 app to qtopia. Which you can
>> (almost) do with the other frameworks.
>
> Any Qt app can be 'ported' easily. Just as with gtk, or efl, or pick-
> your-toolkit for any library
> that is on the device.
> So yes, you _can_ port your garden variety app to Qtopia. It just
> needs to be written with one
> common toolkit - Qt.

Good point actually.

>> And of course the fact that it does not use x11, i expected you to
>> know that. ;-)
>>
>> It really depends, many people like the simple qtopia stack. But i
>> did
>> not buy my Neo to have a phone that does essentially what any better
>> Motorola or Nokia could do too.
>
> Qtopia is not simple. The ui is (or should be), as that is needed on
> these devices that are screen
> real estate challenged.

It would look great on a motorla razr (or however these things are
called today)
But i did not find it to fit very well on the extremely large screen
resolution and touchpad only input.

> What do the other 'stacks' available for neo do any better?

Currently i like the gtk stack (2007.2)  best.

Btw. I don't say qtopia is bad. I just don't like it very much. (tough
it works really well)
And Sharp Zaurus is proof that really nice qtopia based systems are
doable.
And not using x11 is probably a very sane step, if you can live
without the portability factor. (That's porting other apps)

I just don't like how qtopia looks and feels on openmokos phones. It's
just too much as i am used from regular phones.
And it's dataaccess layer is the qtopia api (like accessing contacts).
I would like this api probably very much if i would code something in
qt for qtopia.
And i still have a project laying around here where qtopia phoene
would fit very well.  Maybe i will some day use it.

But i want the extreme freedom for my phone not just opensource. And i
wand something outrageous and maybe stupidly new and exiting.